A lot of work goes into starting a new company; on top of realizing your personal goals, there are several other aspects to consider that relate to the success of your business. Cohen LLP will help identify these aspects and implement objectives that will set the foundation for your company to achieve its goals.
We will advise you on the type of incorporation that will best suit your company, including which structure and in what jurisdiction (federal, provincial, extra-provincial, in some cases, a Nova Scotia or Alberta unlimited liability corporation). We can also advise you on how to best organize your company based on your goals and present situation.
After we have agreed on your company’s needs, we will prepare your Articles of Incorporation, corporate By-Laws and organizing resolutions, issue shares and other corporate matters, and make necessary corporate filings on your behalf.
We will continue to act as facilitators to conduct annual corporation requirements, including any changes to officers and directors, and operate in conjunction with your accountant to ensure annual resolutions.
As part of the incorporation process we will ask you to assist us by providing:
• The preferred name(s) of your corporation for a NUANS name search
• The names, addresses and nationality of the initial directors and officers
• Your company will require a President and Secretary (who may the same person) and such other officers as you may choose
• The address for your company
• The types of shares you wish to be able to issue. You may wish to consider using various classes and types of common shares and preferred shares, including dividend paying shares, profit participating shares, non-voting shares and others
• Who will be receiving shares, how many and at what price
• Who will the company’s auditors or accountants be
• Your year-end date – typically a calendar year
Cohen LLP is also adept at restructuring existing companies and has a wealth of experience with shareholder agreements and management of extra-provincial and extra-territorial registrations of Ontario companies. Utilize our expertise to help guide you through these vital steps in incorporating and setting your company goals.